Day Seven: Boyne Mountain – Alpine, then head to East Lansing!

Today (or a week plus ago since this isn't a live blog) we have to pack up and exit the cabin, go to breakfast, check out, check in and play Alpine, then head to East Lansing for the Michigan State Dairy Store. Jerri Lee (finally fixed the spelling in her name) will be out there in the morning on the Alpine, to send us off. Load up the SUV (tight with my big suitcase, a big cooler full of Spotted Cow and all of our clubs and stuff).

Front of our cabin at Boyne Mountain.


Poor omelet guy at breakfast struggles. I’ve probably eaten enough eggs this week so I’m good.

We check in at the Mountain – Oz is there to great me with his baby.

It’s nice to play Alpine again on our last day. And the weather is nice.  Pretty uneventful round for all.

Kinda red apple on #5.


"shhh... sign for Pete needing silence."







We’re off to Lansing – with a 12-mile detour to the Whippy Dip for ice cream in Vanderbilt. We had to go to a place called the Whippy Dip, right? It wasn’t fancy, but our sundaes (turtles for the boys and I had something with hot fudge and Spanish peanuts) were yummy. Worth the side trip. 

Really going off the grid for ice cream (Whippy Dip).

Nothing fancy signage wise about the Whippy Dip (they also had a Port o Potty out back).

Nothing fancy about the front of the Whippy Dip either.


Nothing fancy about the menu at the Whippy Dip (this guy comes once a year).

Nothing fancy about the picnic tables at the Whippy Dip (but the sundaes were yummy)!



Then on to Lansing. Pretty boring drive. We pass by a few produce places and I realize I haven’t had any cherries on this trip. But, we do see a weird jerkey place – Insect jerkey? Camel jerkey? I think this was the place: https://www.brickhousejerky.com/product-category/exotic-jerky/

We also passed by lots of wind farms and I kept thinking of my client, CMS Energy, and wondering if these are their wind farms (I also found out that I can get a bit queasy if I star at multiple wind turbines spinning).

Get into Lansing and we’re staying at a Marriott, right at MSU (close to the Dairy Store). You can tell that it’s a college hotel that is probably booked a year plus for football season (maybe basketball season for you Magic Johnson or Draymon Green fans, like me). First, we grab lunch at the Jolly Pumpkin (we found out Pete’s nickname from his mom is Pumpkin, so this made us giggle. Well, maybe not Pete), a brewery/pizza/sandwich place. Good food (http://www.jollypumpkin.com/). I had a really sour beer (La Roja) that was yummy, along with a fried chicken sandwich with plenty of siracha (including a siracha bun) that had an “after kick.”


Jolly Pumpkin has a cool logo.


Then, we decide to walk to the MSU Dairy Store – it’s only .8 miles (but we all had different addresses depending on what channel). Nice walk. When we get their Pete’s tummy is not feeling so good so he skips ice cream. They don’t have my favorite maize/blueberry (and they don’t have ice cream named after all of the Big 10 schools anymore – the Spartan Swirl was OK, but I only tested it), but I get something with caramel and pecans (Tucker’s Scoop and Score) and general yumminess. Nice walk back to the hotel to crash early before our last round of golf on Saturday morning.

MSU Dairy Store!

AHHH... entrance to the MSU Dairy Store!

Walking through campus post ice cream.


Comments

Popular Posts