Monday @ Boyne Highlands: Donald Ross Memorial and Crooked Tree

On Monday, we lead off (after breakfast buffet at the Highlands) with the Donald Ross Memorial, a collection of Donald Ross inspired holes. As Levi says, “Donald Ross is an asshole.” We’re playing a game today (I’m not excited about it since it’s a two best ball format and I don’t always finish out these holes and won’t be contributing at times – it’s me, Tom and Clay vs. Pete, Jason and Levi). Donald Ross forward tee boxes don’t give me a whole lot of advantage distance wise (and now that I’m old I just don’t have the distance anymore). And Donald Ross holes are hard!

Donald Ross Memorial Scorecard with "holes" we're playing.






Birdhouse Hole under construction.

Birdhouse Hole under construction

The ”birdhouse” hole is under construction so we don’t have to play it. I like that hole, but not sad that I didn’t have to play it.

Tom, Clay and I get swept on Donald Ross. I don’t really want to keep playing this game if I’m getting swept each time. But Clay offers to “pay my way” according to Tom, just to keep a game going.

Drive over to Crooked Tree for lunch (brats for most of us, burger for Pete). We try to get on earlier than our tee time, but no such luck. It’s me, Levi and Clay this afternoon and Tom, Pete and Jason in front. Crooked Tree is a much better course (with some great views) after they adjusted a few holes. According to the starter on the first hole, after the adjustments, it’s now the most played course on the Boyne list (and residents actually enjoy playing it as well).

 











Levi has a few issues, sometimes, off the tee this afternoon. But not always, so that can be tough. I am hit or miss all over the course, but not awful.

Note: I am not a photographer, nor do I try to be one. I hire photographers. Excuse the crappy photos!

Comments

Popular Posts