Social Media

OK, I'll admit that I've adopted social media as a "friend." Started off with this blog, that was really just going to be my "instead of a holiday letter to friends and family." Figured I could post things that may be interesting (golf) and maybe talk about my trips (mainly golf). And, it pretty much is a golf blog, with some other "stuff" thrown in once in awhile. I don't post a lot of entries, but then, who wants to hear about my daily work routine.

LinkedIn came next, but I didn't really even know I was on it until about a year ago. It's a great resource and way of finding resources, professionals, networking. You need an answer: go to LinkedIn and you can probably find someone.

And then I reluctantly signed up for Facebook. Figured that being in creative services, I really had to know what this thing was. Posted the same picture as my blog (I know, unoriginal, but it's a picture I like that Tom took when we were on one of our Michigan golf trips -- that's Lake Michigan, by the way, near Holland). Found a couple of friends. And then I got "hooked" -- remember it was the day I discovered an eighth grade classmate from Ponce, Puerto Rico. And then another. And then another. And then a sixth grade classmate from Luling, Louisiana. And high school classmates. College. Graduate school. So, I've found Facebook to be fun.

So, what was next. Enter: Twitter. This I really struggled to adopt. I didn't really want to Tweet. But, I really liked that it was a news feed. And I liked that being in creative services, I could have an excuse for following anything from marketing to investor relations to golf and food. Any media service. people. You name it and I felt I could follow. I was a little wary about all of the naked ladies that I had to block from following me. I'm now a bit obsessed with figuring out how to be able to follow more than 2000 people (you need 2000+ to follow you first) -- in an organic way, not using an app.

Last night, at the NIRI DFW Holiday Party, Bill asked me if I was the Liz Kline on Twitter who was in Avid Golfer. Huh? Had no clue what he was talking about. But, this morning, OCD me had to do some searching. And yes, it was. Never thought Twitter would make me “famous”:

http://www.myavidgolfer.com/back_issues/?view=department&department_id=20&issue_id=152

So, I guess I'm in social media for the long haul. The next thing I sign up for? Who knows. I'll keep you posted.

Comments

Popular Posts