Pebble Beach




The time change kills me on Friday morning. From 3 am on (that's 5 am Texas time) I just couldn't sleep. Finally at 430, I get up, make coffee (yes, they have an inroom coffee maker), take a shower, and then grab a cup of coffee and head out for a walk.

Down the 18th I went, standing eventually on the 18th tee box. I'm trying to figure out which set of tees I'll play from. The Whites, or the Reds. My walk takes me back through the Lodge and to the room. No newspaper.

At 7 am, we head to breakfast before hitting the practice range before our round. We've decided to ride in a cart and have a caddy. All along we knew we'd have a caddy, but with Tony's knee hurting him, we wanted to make sure he enjoyed his round. Our caddy's name is Steve. We meet the two gentlemen we're playing with -- Joe and Jay, from Pittsburgh.

First tee jitters. I've decided to play from the Whites. Worst case I move up if I'm getting destroyed. My only goal is to break 100 at Pebble Beach. We make it off the first tee -- I, of course, end up under a small tree with little to no swing. The first hole isn't that hard -- surprising.

Since many of you who read this may not be rabid golfers, I'll sum up the round at Pebble Beach as -- AMAZING. It was chilly and drizzling part of the time, but the views were amazing. Walking on this course, being able to play it. None of my dark and dreary photographs can do it justice. And no words can describe our round. And, pretty respectable rounds by both of us -- with one par apiece -- Tony's on the XX hole. Mine on the famous 7th Par 3 (pitching wedge). And nothing can describe walking down the 18th tee box (both of us dry and right) -- sad because we didn't want it to end and wanted to play it all over again. We will in our heads for a long, long time.

And, for anyone thinking about going and playing Pebble Beach -- the caddy route is the way to go. Having someone carry clubs, tell you yardage, give you reads on the green, let you walk the course while they drive it. Steve was great -- especially playing with me and Tony!

Comments

Popular Posts