Moor and Ross



Internet is super clogged, but I’m blogging. And, as I am finishing this up at the office on Monday, realize that my blog posts are titled wrong. Oh well. The wheels fell off at Bay Harbor, round 2 (well, round 6 in total) and again on the back nine at Heather (round 8), but that’s to be expected. Breakfast at the Highlands and a couple of us opt to forego the eggs and do oatmeal. Good call. I’ve checked and you can use the scooter things at the Moor and the Ross as well. Tom decides he wants to use one in the afternoon, not morning round.

The Moor
Brown   6850 yards
Purple   6597 yards
Orange 6236 yards
Blue       6043 yards
Green   5764 yards
Silver     5099 yards

The Moor is not our favorite on the rotation, but it’s not a bad course. It starts off “boring” and unassuming, but then gets more interesting. The par 3s play long (for me, over 140 yards is typically a lengthy par 3, especially given that at Woodbridge, from the reds, it’s never more than about 90 yards to the pin).







I have resigned to myself that the rest of the week to not expect a whole lot of long shots and I’ll be short a lot (or just keep adding extra club and not being mad if I hit one pure and it goes sailing 30 yards long!). I remember the days when I played back on tee boxes. Can’t see that now! But, on the Moor, the shots are definitely not the “s-word” so I’m happy. And it seems when I’m short, being in the bunker is better than the rough. Not a lot of traffic and like the day before, we seem to have the course to ourselves.

We finish our round at the Moor and grab lunch at the Country Club (their ham and cheese panini is pretty good, probably because it has both cheddar and American cheese so that there is the right amount of gooey – would go well with tomato soup). And then head off (Tom on a “scooter”) to the 
Donald Ross Memorial.

Donald Ross Memorial
Brown   6814 yards (73.9/143)
Purple   6563 yards (72.3/140)
Orange 6233 yards          (71.1/136M/77.4/145W)
Green   5658 yards (67.9/132M/74.2/139W)
Silver     4935 yards (64.5/122M/69.8/129W)

I keep saying that I don’t like the Donald Ross Memorial. I need to take it back. I like a lot about the Donald Ross Memorial, with all if its different signature holes. But I think we may play this course at a point in the rotation that it’s just not my favorite – I don’t really like one or two. Number 3 is a cool par 3 with LOTS of bunkers surrounding the green with an uphill tee shot. The restroom facilities are plentiful (they are really pretty good all through this trip – maybe the exceptions are Bahle Farms and Belvedere, but they aren’t “on property”).





Par 3 at the Ross with a nice Willow tree.




We haven’t seen many critters on this trip – until we come across a giant herd of Tom’s! They are huge! Paul, Tom and I watch them – Pete isn’t in to watching nature for some reason. Never has been.
Paul and I try Tom’s scooter and Paul is bummed that he didn’t take one for the day (but he did say he liked me driving him around all day). Oh, I checked and Boyne could add a cooler/storage add on to their golf boards -- https://www.golfboard.com/parts/coolerseatstorage (something for them to think about).













Dinner is early at the Country Club. I get salad and the Mary’s Chicken – and now I need to see if I can figure out how to replicate the Mary’s Chicken – it was that good. The had a nice crunch to it, which does help. And it was so tender and juicy. The guys all had the cherry glazed porkchops and say that they were pretty good as well.
Mary's chicken (I don't normally take pictures of food, but did this for Will at Woodbridge).

Kilwins for ice cream on our way – passing the late Bob In Again (sad face). And the back to the cabin for an early night before our last day at Boyne at the Mountain.

Comments

Popular Posts