Different kind of post - Biopsy day

 No deodorant, no jewelry, you know the drill. Tony took me to this appointment since we weren’t sure what to except drive wise. Again: Sandra O'Neal Institute Website



He went to Denny’s for breakfast while I had my appointment. But I’ve never had a biopsy, so no clue what to expect. Dr. Bentley does the procedure in a “regular room” – the mural was god awful. Someone needs to do something about doctor’s office artwork – it’s awful across the board. They numb your breast – and then it really becomes a “pin cushion” – the first time you hear an unexpected “pop” was weird, but then you get over it. They took a lot of stuff out of my right breast. Some out of my left, but that wasn’t as bad. She said to take plenty of Tylenol Extra Strength (no Advil, aspirin, ALEVE -- I really don't take any of this anyway) and ice would be “my friend.” (it was).  We stopped at Specs for booze on our way home (yes, definitely been drinking a whole lot more since the lump – and COVID 19).

I go home and start looking up the doctors on the list Dr. Bentley gave me (very helpful because google is only as good as google is -- and I want someone good). Some I eliminated based on the distance (no way I’m going all of the way to Denton!). 

Based on websites, narrowed down to three doctors – one I then eliminated because they had a BIG typo on their website - THEY SPELLED RICHARDSON WRONG! (it’s fixed because when I told my sister, she called them and they fixed). Sorry Jenevieve Hughes -- your bio was impressive and the location wasn't bad. My first choice, Dr. Peter Beitsch was on Walnut Hill and 75 and seemed impressive bio wise with a good website. But, when I called, the woman who answered the phone seemed disinterested and said someone would have to call back about the appointment. When they called back a day later, this woman also seemed disinterested and told me I needed to go to Akumin to get the disk (all the way in Plano) and bring it to them. So, based on this, expected the same treatment for the entire process. Gone. -- I'm in marketing and customer service is important, so while this may not be the best method, it's my method.

The next day, Dr. Bentley calls me with the news. As expected, yes, I have cancer in my right breast. Benign in my left. Time to get appointments, sooner, rather than later, with doctors. Everyone says I need second opinions (and note that this comes with deductible payments – health insurance doesn’t have discounts for second opinions). I tell Arthur and Arlo and break the news. Arthur knows people and the next day, sends me some recommendations – three are of one of my choices and one doctor who has retired also recommends her. I called one of the doctors on my list and the receptionist was so rude that I eliminated them. If you can’t be nice on the phone making an appointment, then don’t know what to expect the rest of the time. Texas Oncology and Doctor Rachel Warren’s office were great at booking the appointment and getting my info (they are in Medical City on Forest and 75, so not a bad place) – and saying that they’d take care of getting my results from the mammogram/ultrasound/biopsies for the appointment). We did have a little issue about getting the results – supposedly the two computer systems (of which look like they are using TSR-80s from back in the day) didn’t talk. But, Dr. Bentley sent it over to Dr. Warren in time for our meeting with Dr. Warren. 

Dr. Rachel Warren

972-566-7499

Texas Oncology

7777 Forest Lane, Suite C-614

Dallas, TX 75230

Before my appointment, they send me a link to an online portal to answer a lot of questions so that I don't have to do before the appointment (even though you still are required to get there 30 minutes before your appointment). Tony gets to go to this appointment!


Comments

Popular Posts