Different Kind of Post - Pre-op/Operation Day/Home

I had to have a COVID-19 test before op (my first -- not bad, but gave me the uncontrollable sneezes afterwards), and go into quarantine. Before then, did final grocery shopping, including rib eye steaks and potatoes for Monday before surgery. Might was well have a good meal! It was well worth it. Coopers Meat Market (Coopers Meat Market Website) in Sylvan 30 is pretty kick ass meat wise. I also picked up a Chicken Tetrazini (sp.) casserole – not a lot of flavor, but figure that it’d be a good reheat when Mom and Allison come on Thursday. Have to stop by midnight.




Check in at 8 am for surgery on Tuesday at 10 am. Because of COVID-19, I’ve convinced Tony to “toss me out of the car” and go home. If not, he’d have to wait in the car or outside the entire time until I got up to my private room late afternoon. They also said that they’d call him when I headed up to surgery, Dr. Warren would call when she was done, Dr. Beale would call when he was done, they would call when they sent me to recover (for about an hour) and then call when I was in my room – with the room number (good luck on finding the room, I thought).



I check in, they make me pee in a cup – how they thought I could do that after not drinking anything since 8:30 pm on Monday, but I did. Then, spent a couple of hours in lovely robe and hospital socks waiting (they were too big and spun so that was annoying)– but they had TV and I rewatched Paul Casey win the Dubai Classic on the European Tour. Golf Channel!!! They put the IV port in my hand (not a great time and I think the nurse had a problem considering the word “oops” was used). Finally, around 10:30 am, they took my stuff in bags, including my cell phone, and wheeled me upstairs where I would meet with Dr. Warren, Dr. Beale, the anesthesiologist, the “head nurse” and who knows who else (this is a big room with lots of really ugly curtains – there were 14 petals per column, in case you want to know). Dr. Beale wrote all over my boobs – sharpies aren’t just for marking up golf balls (BTW, my golf clubs are sitting in the corner of our bedroom, maybe I’ll clean them before I can play again – Dr. Beale says expanders and golf aren’t terribly comfortable).

And then I got the anesthesia. Next thing I know is I was in a recovery room – I think. I think there was a blonde woman on the right of me, standing up near a computer. That is all I remember.

And then I was in my private room. Not sure when I knew this. They show me the TV – and the call buttons and the up and down bed buttons. And hand me a menu and a phone to order dinner (was on hold for 30 minutes). The menu had a lot – not sure why anyone would want a burger and fries, but I guess it depends on the procedure. I ordered cranberry juice, veggie soup and orange sherbet. Tony shows up to feed me. I skip the soup. Just too complicated. They help me to pee and Lorlei (sp.) the night nurse who was AWESOME understood my shy bladder and waited outside while I peed – I am not modest, but have never been able to pee with someone watching. We were going to go for a walk (Dr. Beale said I needed to walk after surgery – get moving) – but nausea, bordering on throwing up, stopped that for a little bit. Too soon, too fast. But, eventually we all went on a walk about down the hall one way, down the hall the other way, and then back to the room. Tony stayed a bit, but went home for the night and would come back in the morning. Again, while Lorlei had to wake me up a couple of times (I also peed) and give me meds, she was great.

Morning

Morning came and I was introduced and handed over to Betsy (not sure this is how she spells her name) to take over. Hands me a breakfast menu (again, who would really want chorizo and spicy food after surgery?) and the phone. Took me to the bathroom – but when I told her I had a shy bladder, she showed me the pull for assistance cord and told me to pull it when I was ready. I had to wait 5 minutes for her to show up. I miss Lorlei. I ordered oatmeal and berries and cranberry juice and waited. Betsy had moved the “remote” out of reach so I was stuck in a room without TV or anything – and couldn’t call her (and my cell phone was charging next to the sofa on the other side of the room).

I am kinda wearing my mask when people show up, but it is easy to forget and no one makes a fuss. I am pretty drugged up, so understandable I guess. They are all masked up.

Blake from Dr. Beale’s office stopped by and looked – said everything looked great – and because my boobs were so big that the procedure went better! Finally, more positives for big boobs. She also got me the remote so I could watch TV. Food arrived, but I don’t know if they don’t know what procedure I had, the server never really gave it to me in reach – so I only had strawberries. Until Dr. Warren showed up and moved things around. Tony came and “tsked” over my lack of eating. By then, the oatmeal was cold, dense and yucky. A walk and a couple more rounds of IV drugs. And then get to go home! I get into my new jammies (with buttons) and Betsy takes me down in a wheelchair through the Children’s Entrance (due to COVID, all registration and hospital stuff goes through the children’s hospital).

Chest Buddy from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2V7ISPq


The ride home is bumpy, but Tony takes the “long” route home and gets me into the house and into bed. He’s got a log for the drain schedule and measurement. And a log for the meds – Valium, Hydro -whatever – Nausea/Vomiting, Poop (stool softener – they say this is going to be a big deal), Antibiotics. I also have this neat breathing thing – I guess helps to avoid pneumonia. Abby seems to know something is up and is non rabid, gentle girl. I think I had Lipton cup-o-soup for dinner with saltines, and cranberry juice, and tea on Wednesday, but not 100% sure. Yes, turn into a child and love that Lipton package of soup with saltines. Probably no nutritional value, but who cares.



I go to bed – not great, but guess with the drugs, enough. I can’t get in and out of bed, so when I have to pee, Tony has to get me out of bed. We never completely figured out the best way to do so.

Comments

Popular Posts