Friday: Crooked Tree and The Moor – last “two a day”

We wake up – just like Groundhog Day, only it’s sprinkling this morning. Yuk. It’s only supposed to rain possibly in the afternoon. I am not a mudder. But, I am only chipping and putting, so maybe only ride around in the cart. Off to Sagamore’s we go again. We pass through Boyne Falls, all set up for the annual Polish Festival that we’ve never gone to. I take a picture and Tom comments on how bad the picture will be. It’s to remind me to look for it online to see if they have a website. They do and it’s the 46th Annual Polish Festival, running August 5-8, 2021:  https://www.boynefallspolishfestival.com/ -- complete with Polka Tent, Carnival, Grand Parade, Events and more!

We arrive at the Inn at Bay Harbor and Sagamore’s about 10 minutes early, again. Time to head out to the patio and look at the beautiful flowers and water, with a light drizzle. Same table, different waiter, but same omelet guy.

Inn at Bay Harbor (back of hotel).

Road construction/detour on 31 in Boyne Falls.


On to Crooked Tree. It’s not my favorite, but I’ve already decided that in the rain, I’ll just drive Tom around and not play. Thankfully I brought my rain jacket – but not pants. And my umbrella has been in the mini van the entire time. Crooked Tree also charged us the $30 riding fee. If I had known this, I would have brought my laptop and had them leave me at the Inn of Bay Harbor to blog, drink coffee and read their Wall Street Journal – nice and dry. Oh well.

 

Crooked Tree has some fun holes, some weird holes, some scenic holes (overlooking the bay, including views of the Links course at Bay Harbor). Little bit of everything, but not much in the way of water (maybe you could call the marsh-y stuff water). The group ahead of us lets us play through on the fourth hole. We then catch up to the foursome afterwards. Tom almost drives (accidentally) the par 4 hole -- #7 hole (dogleg right –he drove it over the heather and house to make it where he made it). They pointed out that one was in a backyard and one next to the green. They weren’t happy. And, maybe that is why they wouldn’t let us play through the entire rest of the round. While I get that twosomes shouldn’t be allowed to play through all of the time, they could see that Tom and Pete weren’t duffs, and we were on top of them the entire round. I asked Tom if I could call them “dickwads” (spelling?) – he said yes. We did play in just over three hours, but I was wet, cold – it was windy. And they should have let us play through. So, to the foursome in front of us at Crooked Tree on Friday, August 6 – with the 7:50 am tee time – YOU ARE DICKWADS.

 

Rain gear, including pants, on for Tom.



Doesn't look like it's raining at Crooked Tree, but it is.

I'm not going out there!

FYI: the handlebar thing on the roof is a great place to hold your umbrella in!

Tom drove the green on #7 -- the group ahead was not happy.

Nope, still not going out there.



Bench on #16 overlooking Lake Michigan has a plaque.

Good vice of Bay Harbor from the bench on #16.




This hole dives down to the green (par 5).




We’re supposed to play the Moor at 3:00 pm in the afternoon, at least four hours. All have agreed to not wanting to play a 5+ hour second round, especially at the Moor (even though Tom can ride a board). We head to lunch in Harbor Springs, a “quaint” little town with ice cream (and LOTS of women’s clothing stores with “yukky” outfits). We eat lunch (me a bowl of Lemon Orzo Chicken soup) at Pierson’s Grille (https://www.piersonsgrille.com/) – pretty good “American cuisine.” I’m not really hungry, I’m still chilled from the round, my eyes have been super teary all week and today is the worse, ditto for my nose. We finish up the “kitty” for the week – pretty good. I think we spend more money on tips with the kitty than with food and beverage. Tom and Pete have ice cream at Yummies. I just didn’t want ice cream (yeah). I couldn’t find a website for them, but Tom and Pete said it was “alright.” Meaning: Not as good as Moomers, or probably even Kilwins.

 

Yummies Ice Cream in Harbor Springs.


And we decide that we’re not going to the Moor, but back to the house. We don’t want a 5+ hour round, it looks like it’s going to start raining again, and we don’t want to get back to the cabin after 8 pm. And, traffic in Harbor Springs and Petoskey is “crazy” – for the area. Tom decided to take a back way home. It’s fun to take different routes for someone like me who likes maps and navigating. I just don’t have my maps and I’m not navigating.

 

We drove by Plath’s Famous Smoked Meats on our “detour” (https://www.plathsmeats.com/). Tom said that’s where our sausage and bacon at Sagamore’s came from (the sausage is really good). You can order it online and they’ll ship. Their website has a good history section on it.

 

Funny slogan on Plath's Smoked Meats website.

Our route drops us from 81 to 131 at a traffic light – about where I thought it might drop us. And back to the house we go. Meet up with a maintenance guy up in my room that we didn’t expect, asking me what I did to have electrical issues. It isn’t me -- I think they still will have electrical issues. We’ll see.

 

Saturday: Bahle Farms, Moomers and headed back to Dallas

Comments

Popular Posts