The Mountain - Alpine and Monument

 The day at the Mountain is nice. We don’t really drive much and we stay at the Mountain all day. The morning wasn’t fun since I didn’t have power to my bathroom and had to get ready in the dark. And, I really wanted to take a bath – and the tub drain wouldn’t shut. Bummer.

We leave early to tell the front desk before breakfast. They have the day to fix things and we hope they do. Breakfast buffet is back – egg station, and buffet. We think that their coffee is Starbucks (yuk), but oh well. I take a to go cup and off to the Mountain courses we go, Alpine first, then Monument. Find out that bev cart woman, Jerry Lee, doesn’t work on Mondays. Bummer. Also have a marshal on the way up the mountain, so no ball tosses. Another bummer. And, we find out that they don’t have the putting “gizmo” at Boyne like they do at Shanty Creek. Another bummer. For those who want this, gizmo, it’s the Standard Golf No Touch Ball Elevator: (https://www.standardgolf.com/no-touch-ball-elevator/ )

Like Sunday, I’m chipping and putting (note: kinda chipping and putting – I play the par 3s, mostly. And I play in from 130 yards or less, trying to be in from 100 yards or less. And then putt. One thing about par 3s in Michigan is that they range from 90 yards to 150 yards, and at Monument hole #13, more like 160 yards (I skipped that hole today). One good thing about not being cleared, while playing courses I’ve played lots and lots. If I don’t like a particular hole, I just don’t play it! I’m not keeping score anyway. It’s just been nice to be outside, kind of golfing, after all of this. And the weather is PERFECT – almost chilly. Thank you, again, American Airlines, for the blanket. It has served us well.

We play the Alpine in three hours and are able to go up and to play Monument right after. It means skipping lunch, but it’s only 11 am and we’ve had a big breakfast – and we have pretzels. The Monument round is quite a bit slower because there are more groups out. But, over all not too slow.



Obligatory photo of the bridge between #2 and #3 (Alpine was established in 1970s). 

Alpine #3 (they are working on putting new sand in some of their bunkers).


#10 has a CRAZY green that tilts from right to left. Tilts is the word.


The willow trees are wonderful on Alpine. This is the #2 handicap hole. Uphill
,


#18 is a par 5, great finishing hole. Go for it. Pond in front of the green.


Pond in front of #18 Alpine

One of my favorite holes in Michigan. #1 at Monument. Par 5. You can putt up the railroad ties. I do.




I’m not sure which course I like more, Alpine or Monument. I guess I would say Alpine for the entire 18 holes, but Monument for a few favorite holes in Michigan (e.g. Monument #1 with the rail road ties you can put up to the green, or Monument #8 with the bunker in the middle of the hole from end to green pretty much). I am not necessarily a fan of any of the holes after hole #11, when you pass the snack shack.

We get back to the house and yeah, we have power. Rather, I have power in my bathroom and the drain works for me to take a bath.

For dinner, we head to Forty Acres Tavern. With our complimentary drink coupons and being on the Great Escape Golf Package, it really is a good deal (we eat a lot). The golf package gives us soup or salad, an entrée, and dessert. Way too much food. Tom and I use our free drinks on “girlie” drinks – mine has Deep Eddy Grapefruit Vodka, soda and lime. Tom’s has Deep Eddy Raspberry Vodka, soda and muddled raspberries. Pete has a screwdriver. For dinner, I think Tom was most excited about the maple siracha dipping sauce with his salmon. And everyone liked their dessert milk shakes. After dinner, back to the house and bed.

When you finish the Alpine in three hours or less, you get an ASAP tee time to head back up the Mountain!


Tom has an app to identify trees (this one is between the bathrooms and the Monument #8.


Girlie drinks.


 

Alpine:


Yardage  ParRatingSlope
Brown
7045
72
73.6
140
Purple
6875
72
72.5
138
Orange
6501
72
70.9
134
Blue
6265
72
69.5
130
Green
6041
72
69.1/74.6
126/134
Silver
5053
72
64.5/69.3
115/123
The Monument
YardageParRatingSlope
Brown
6964
72
73.6
140
Purple
6591
72
72.1
136
Orange
6104
72
69.8
130
Blue
5962
72
69.3/74.8
128/138
Green
5662
72
67.6/72.8
123/132
Silver
4879
72
64.0/68.9
114/123

The scorecard for the Alpine and Monument are here: https://www.boynemountain.com/golf/the-monument


Tuesday: Donald Ross Memorial and afternoon “off.”

Comments

Popular Posts