Different Kind of Post - Monday and Tuesday - breast cancer recovery

 

Monday

I pooped! Tony asked if he needed to bake me a cake for this momentus occasion. No, just happy to finally poop! Off we go to Medical City. Hoping that Tony can come into Dr. Beale’s office. No, unfortunately not. But, they take out the drains! – First they filled my expanders with saline – guess that they are starting the expanding process and that the expansion also helps make it easier to take the drains out). I read that the drains would be really painful to come out. But, they numb you and it’s really not that bad – just didn’t realize how long that they were. They also were going to call in a few more prescriptions for pain killers for me since I wasn’t taking them as much as I should. And we schedule another appointment for February 18. Blake also measured me so I could order some other bras (no wire, but I had no clue how to figure out what size to order). Dr. Beale’s office gave me a page of good options – I ordered two kinds – three packs.

Fruit of the Loom:

Fruit of the Loom Sports Bras One with eye and hook and one with zippers.

ohlyah Women's Zipper Front Closure Sports Bra Racerback Yoga Bras

Ohlyah Zippered Sports Bras

Except for one bra, I have tossed the rest of mine. Bathing suits next.

And then to Dr. Warren’s office. It was quick. She doesn’t have pathology yet, but gives me some arm exercises and permission to start. And an appointment in three weeks. Dr. Warren knows that I’m a workaholic, but I didn’t tell her that I’d also be obsessed with the exercises. I do not want to go to physical therapy if I can avoid it!

Come home and I’m getting good at napping these days.

Tuesday – recovery and prep for “Arctic Freeze” – through February 18

Allison gets her Uber pick up at 7 am. Mom at 930 am. House is down to me and Tony and Abby and Kat. I start doing the exercises provided. Slow stretches. Rachel gave me a brochure that didn’t have a lot, so I did a bit of “Pinterest-ing.” And, I have a wii fit – which was very helpful in helping me come up with a routine when rehabbing from knee surgery (yes, different, but…).

I also finally get on my laptop for a little bit of work – mainly getting rid of emails, not responding necessarily. And when I did email someone, basically got a “go away and recover, Liz” response. LOL.

My exercise “log” – Tony was good on the drains and the meds. I’m obsessed with the exercising and have come up with a wii fit routine that works. Some of the exercises (e.g. tri cep curls) don’t need the balance board and don’t really grade you, so I use it to keep track of time, and do various arm exercises (https://www.verywellhealth.com/arm-exercises-after-breast-surgery-430189?utm_campaign=mobilesharebutton2&utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest). And then use the free step in the aerobics setting to get some walking in while watching TV (lately, it’s all about the snow and freezing weather conditions – thankfully, not so much about politics or COVID-19! And, when we get this kind of stuff in Dallas, it’s a BIG DEAL and makes the national news!).

·         February 9 – 20 minutes (arm stretches) – didn’t use the wii on the first one

·         February 10 – 30 minutes (arm stretches – arm wall, back arm (can’t touch my fingers – about 6 inches away), shoulder shrugs; 30 minutes walk/step (could only do about 850 steps per 10 minutes –yuk) – using the wii fit because it keeps track of time!

·         February 11 – 40 minutes (arm stretches – arm wall, back arm, shoulder shrugs, side stretch, wall leans); 40 minutes walk/step

·         February 12 – 20 minutes walk/step (back to 1000 – 1300 steps per 10 minutes now!); 50 minutes arm stretches (added wii fit torso twists to the above – AND, MY FINGERS TOUCH ON THE BACK ARM STRETCH!); 40 minutes walk/step

·         February 13 – 20 minutes walk/step; 50 minutes arm stretches; 40 minutes walk/step; 5 minutes deep breathing

·         February 14 – 20 minutes walk/step; 50 minutes arm stretches; 20 minutes leg stretches (I tried to do my normal Wii fit routine and it wasn’t really successful on my back so I had to modify); 5 minutes deep breathing

·         February 15 – 20 minutes walk/step; 50 minutes arm stretches; 20 minutes walk step; 5 minutes deep breathing

·         February 16 (“bad day”) – 20 minutes walk/step; 20 minutes arm stretches

·         February 17 – 30 minutes walk/step; 60 minutes arm stretch (added sun salutation from wii fit to the mix); 5 minutes deep breathing; 30 minutes walk/step

·         February 18 – 20 minutes walk/step; 45 minutes arm stretch; 5 minutes deep breathing; 20 minutes walk/step

Today, Thursday, February 18, we have an appointment with Dr. Beale. Think more saline. First time I’ll have left the house since Saturday when Tony and I made a quick run to Tom Thumb before the “big weather event.” I wanted to make chili and cornbread – and figured we could be stuck for a week in the house, depending on what happens. Bummed because I wanted to go to Cindi’s Deli for lunch – but, because of the weather conditions, they won’t be open on Thursday. They reopen on Friday. The roads are still pretty bad, but Tony should be good at navigating today.




Comments

Popular Posts